Democratic Candidates for Governor
The leading Democrat candidates for Governor each support active state and local government planning and control of broadband networks.
- Critical of private sector ISPs
- Proposes building networks owned and operated by state and local governments
- Will spend $2 billion over 25 years to build FTTH networks, with up to 20% of those funds earmarked for private ISPs to build networks "in areas where public provision is unfeasible" (doesn't elaborate on why those areas would be feasible for private networks)
- Wants to "invest in universal wireless internet to bring desperately needed economic growth to rural areas"
- Proposes a new state agency "to set a course for the planning and implementation of infrastructure repair, setting priorities and making expenditures where necessary"
- Will commission report to determine need and create a state broadband map
- Proposes installing conduit for fiber during all road construction projects
- Supports expanding Merit Network and government-owned networks